As an Amazon affiliate, I earn commissions from qualifying purchases made through the following product links.
Easy container mix for peppers – 2021 recipe. This is what I’m using with my drip system pepper and tomato plants for the 2021 growing season.
The base container mix is composed of:
- 1 x 2.8 cu-ft bag of well-draining commercial potting mix (I used Sungrow commercial potting mix, aka Fafard 3b)
- 1 x 1 cu-ft bag of compost manure (I used Black Kow) – This provides a small amount of fertilizer, mostly Nitrogen, to help the plant along until the slow-release kicks in.
- About a large colander full of extra perlite – This offsets the added density from adding the compost manure.
After adding to the 5 gal bucket, I add:
- 1 x 1/2 cup of bonemeal
- 5 x Tbsp of Osmocote 14-14-14 (or slow-release macronutrient of choice)
- 5 x tsp of Essential Minor Elements (or micronutrient of choice)
I install the plant, water it in, and set it up on my drip system. The drip system runs for 15 minutes, twice a day. Each 5-gal container has 2 x 1/2 gal/hour emitters.
Also, take a look at how I set up my drip system.
Drip System Basics – https://youtu.be/opA4bJ2_tv8
Also, these links will provide information, but you might want to source them locally. The cost of Amazon is a lot higher. They are probably factoring in shipping costs.
Osmocote 14-14-14 – https://amzn.to/3iE87SS
Black Kow https://amzn.to/3xhjiF3
Essential Minor Elements – https://amzn.to/3xctyOM
Video showing how it is mixed: